What We Do
We are an independent community food pantry governed by a Board of Directors comprised of representatives from local businesses and residents who care about our mission. We provide food and other necessary services directly to the people who need assistance in Lake County, Florida. We could not do what we do without the support of a generous community and guidance of the Second Harvest Food Bank, who primarily acts as the storehouse for millions of pounds of food and other products distributed to Central Florida food pantries.
We have three full-time staff and six part-time staff members plus 262 trained, active volunteers
Our other programs include:
- 229 children receive food each school weekend from our Weekend Children’s Feeding Program
- At least 15 Emergency Food distributions are requested each week
- We provide food for students at a local school working with children with Autism
- 15 homeless food bags are distributed each week
- New Habitat for Humanity homes have the owner’s pantry and refrigerator filled
- 50 foster youth receive food twice a month through Forward Paths Foundation
In 2022 we served over 67,000 individuals. We distribute over 25,000 pounds of food each week.
Did you know....
…on average it takes 60 to 70 pounds of food to serve one family of four for three days (3 meals per day)?
Lake Cares Summer Children’s Feeding Program distributes food each week for children out of school. In 2019 over 3600 children were fed over the course of the summer.
Holiday times are special at Lake Cares and we distribute everything a family needs for their holiday meal including a $15 supermarket gift card. In 2020 we served an additional 600 families.